An electric Pressure Canner is not similar with that of a pressure cooker and one might use it to can peas, asparagus, stock, soup etc. It maintains the taste of the food and moreover, it uses less water as well as energy to work. It also gives you the choice of selecting the right ingredient for the food as you need.
For preserving blueberries in the winter or pumpkin in the spring the best thing you can get is a Pressure Canner. Canning basically helps you to preserve fruits, vegetables and later on, you can have them anytime you want. Due to this reason, the pressure canners are becoming very useful among all the kitchen appliances.
Actually, it uses a special method to process food at a higher temperature which you won’t get in case of normal canning. While using the canners for preparing meat or vegetables, one doesn’t require adding high acid ingredients like pickles.
In this article, we will discuss some of the best pressure canners that you might be looking for making the delicious meal for your loved ones. But before that, you’ll need to know about the possible reasons for choosing the best pressure canner for yourself. So, let us begin.
- 1 What Are The Main Factors For Choosing The Right Pressure Canner?
- 2 What Are The Top 7 Pressure Canner You Can Use To Ease Your Cooking?
- 2.1 1.All American 921 21-1/2-Quart Pressure Cooker/Canner
- 2.2 2. Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker
- 2.3 3. Mirro 92122A Polished Aluminium Canner
- 2.4 4. T-Fal P31052 Polished Pressure Canner
- 2.5 5. Granite Ware 0730-2 Pressure Canner/Cooker/Steamer
- 2.6 6. Power Pressure Cooker XL Digital Non-Stick Stainless Steel Steam Slow Cooker and Canner
- 2.7 7. Ball FreshTech Electric Water Bath Canner, Silver
- 2.8 Final Thoughts
What Are The Main Factors For Choosing The Right Pressure Canner?
Already we know that the pressure canner plays a significant role in preserving low-acid food such as vegetables, meat, and others. Now, let’s take a glimpse of the factors that you need to consider while buying a pressure canner.
Most of the canners are made of either aluminium or stainless steel and they both have their own good and bad side. As an example, if we think about aluminium, it is cheaper than stainless steel and fairly lightweight. Despite having such good things, when it comes to long-lasting then obviously stainless steel is the better choice over aluminium.
On the other hand, if you want durability then stainless steel is far better than aluminium. However, stainless may not be the best since it isn’t the best conductor for high temperatures. This prevents the heat to distribute properly which is not present in aluminium canners. But if you want to buy a canner which will work utterly for a long period of time, then it’s better to choose stainless steel canner.
The next important factor to keep in mind while choosing a pressure canner is the capacity or space it can provide. Depending on the usage, there are canners of various sizes. If you want to buy a canner for house kitchen purpose only, then the canners from 16-quart to 23-quart will be the best for you.
Apart from these, there are other larger capacity pressure canners available in the market. Although the large canners might process your food faster, they can be heavy, cumbersome and requires high maintenance.
The smaller ones like below 14-quarts are generally used for cooking other than canning. So at first, you need to be sure of what the canner needs to do and they pay for it.
Check whether there are no gaskets on your pressure canner as they can be quite a headache while canning. It will cause trouble if the gaskets are loose or not at the right spot on the canner. Furthermore, if your canner has gaskets than you’ll have to replace them because eventually, they will wrap. Thus, to avoid such issues it is better to go for a canner that doesn’t have any gasket from the beginning.
Last but not the least is paying the right price for the right pressure canner. This is one of the important factors to be aware of before investing in a canner. Do a proper research and comparison among different canners regarding the features, the price and then choose wisely as per your budget.
Cheap can’t be a consideration, but also you should not pay a lot for features that you won’t utilise realistically. So, keep all these things in mind while purchasing a pressure canner.
What Are The Top 7 Pressure Canner You Can Use To Ease Your Cooking?
Now, let us move on to the part where you’ll have a clear idea about the 7 best pressure canners that might just become useful to your cooking.
1.All American 921 21-1/2-Quart Pressure Cooker/Canner
All American is quite familiar for designing high-quality pressure cookers and canners. Along with the quality, they also focus on durability and safety which make their product popular among the customers.
- The All American 921 21-½-Quart pressure canner has a capacity of holding almost 19 standard regular mouth pint jars or 7 standard regular mouth quart jars.
- Keeping the durability in mind, this canner comes with a hand-cast aluminium coat that has a stunning satin finish. With the use of smooth clamping wing nuts, it gets easy to open or close the cover.
- The top handle has a sturdy phenolic look. And, the best part is that it has no gaskets that need to be replaced. This is because this canner has a metal-to-metal sealing system which prevent the gaskets.
- The regulator can be varied among 5, 10, 15 psi and also it comes with the automatic over-pressure release feature.
- The interior diameter is 12-¼-inch and the height of the pot is about 15-⅜-inch.
- Has a safety release when too much pressure builds up.
- Strong and durable aluminium body.
- No gaskets.
- Offers different ranges of psi.
- Due to the sturdiness, it can be a bit heavy.
- Can be a bit expensive.
2. Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker
If you’re looking for a pressure canner of better quality within a reasonable price, then Presto has brought just the thing for you. The 23-quart Presto canner is compared to provide double service than other similar products because it works as both a pressure cooker and canner.
- The US Department of Agriculture has recommended that this product is quite safe to use for canning vegetables and other foods.
- It has a great capacity to hold a lot of food while canning and makes easy for you to serve a huge meal to others. It can be used to preserve fruits, jams, salsa etc. as it is canner. And, also being a fast pressure cooker, it can quickly process the delicious food in a few minutes.
- The body of the canner is built with high-quality aluminium that gives it a long-lasting lifespan. Along with this, it is designed wrap-resistive to reduce physical damage. For proper heat distribution, the canner is contracted accurately.
- There is a deluxe dial pressure gauge that regulates the pressure to correctly process the food at high altitudes. This is applicable to gas, electric or any smooth top ranges except convection cook tops.
- To build the pressure when the lid is closed properly, air vent and cover lock are present on this product. These two helps the cover to stay in the right place until the pressure is not released.
- Heavy gauge aluminium body, excellent for fast cooking.
- You can use it as boiling water canner along with preserving food.
- You’ll get a 12-year limited warranty for this product.
- Large capacity to store food.
- The structure is considered to be bulky.
- Jiggler is not present.
3. Mirro 92122A Polished Aluminium Canner
For budget-mind users, the Mirro 92122A Polished aluminium canner is incredibly a good option for canning vegetables or meat or other items. Mainly, if you don’t intend to use the pot for pressure cooking or stovetop cooking, then you should go for this one. As it is built with aluminium, so you won’t be able to cook acidic foods in it, but it is great for canning.
- It is durable and resistant to rust for having a sturdy gauge aluminium body. It is so well designed that there is no extra headache while cleaning or maintaining the canner.
- The cover can be airtight due to the sure-locking lid system present on the canner. This keeps it protected from the accidental opening of the cover or spilling out.
- Though it has a side gasket, it is mainly provided for safe pressure release.
- A regulator is there which you can use to change the pressure as you require regarding the canning. It allows you to change the pressure between 5, 10 and 15 psi options.
- Inside the lid, a rubber gasket has fitted that assists during the pressure build-up. By doing this it helps to prevent the pressure escape.
- There is a vent tube in the canner to release pressure. If somehow they don’t work, then the safety window comes into action and removes the excess pressure.
- Side gasket releases excess pressure.
- Tight locking lid keeps the cover intact no matter how much the pressure increases.
- Heat is uniformly distributed for its heavy-gauge aluminium body.
- Available at an affordable price.
- As there is a gasket, then it has a chance to break loose or impact pressure build up.
- Holding capacity is not sufficient.
4. T-Fal P31052 Polished Pressure Canner
This pressure canner consists of two canning racks which give a large capacity to store foods for processing a huge meal at any time. The T-Fal P31052 Polished canner is capable of containing 7-quart size jars when a single rack is used. In the case of double racks, it can take up to 16 pint-size jars easily.
- There are three options using which one can control the pressure as they want. For vegetables use 5 psi, for meat use 10 psi and for canning move to 15 psi.
- There will be no issue of food sticking due to the presence of two canning racks. It also gives more space in the canner.
- It has a spring safety device that keeps the pressure maintained regardless of the lid first being locked.
- You will get the 5 point security system with the T-Fal canner. It includes sure-locking lid, vent tube and a built-in pressure monitoring device on the handle.
- You can observe the pressure level with the help of pressure gauge dial.
- No matter how much the cooker is pressurised, the lid will not open due to sure-locking feature.
- No food sticking and more capacity for two canning racks.
- High-gauge aluminium keeps it strong and rusts resistive.
- Some of the controls aren’t intuitive and require experimentation.
- A cooking insert isn’t dishwasher safe.
- Periodic replacement is needed for some canner parts.
5. Granite Ware 0730-2 Pressure Canner/Cooker/Steamer
This is one of the simple canners that you might be willing to use for canning your favorite fruits or vegetables. The Granite Ware canner is the smallest model on our list and it comes with a three-piece pressure regulatory system. You can go for this product following the great performance and compact size.
- The body is made of using hard anodised aluminium that makes it possible to use it for cooking different varieties of food regardless of canning. The top lid is designed with stainless steel and the handles don’t get hot during the canning process. So, it becomes easy to move the canner while it is hot.
- As the steamer part is stepped inside the canner about 1/3 of the way from the bottom, steaming fresh vegetables, tamales become very easy. The rack in the bottom keeps the jars separated from the bottom while canning occurs. You can remove the jars using the rack handles.
- The 20-quart of this model can easily hold 7-quart jars or 8-pint jars. Like the other pressure canners, it also has a regulator switch to alter the pressure as per the user’s concern. One can vary the pressure between options like 5, 10 and 15 psi. It can also be used as a normal pressure cooker.
- The Granite Ware canner comes with a pop-up pressure indicator that is capable of locking the lid in the right place for safety reasons. In the center of the lid, you can find a steam vent that helps to reduce the steam pressure. If anyhow it fails to operate, then between the two safety valves, the second one whistles and informs about the problem.
- Two different size is available of this model.
- Cost-effective product.
- Canning rack is present in it.
- Jiggler over-pressure gauge is there to let you ‘hear’ the pressure.
- Comes with gaskets.
- Rusting issues might occur in some cases
6. Power Pressure Cooker XL Digital Non-Stick Stainless Steel Steam Slow Cooker and Canner
Some of you might be thinking that why this product is enlisted here because it is not a typical canner. Despite it is designed for smaller jobs, but it can also compete with the average canners available in the market. The Power Pressure Cooker XL Digital can be used for canning, pressure cooking and also making rice, soup. One can also use it to steam vegetables or fruits.
- This product is quite economical as it takes less time to process the food and also save energy. The Power Cooker is best for preparing slow-cooked meals in the right way.
- It has an airtight lid on top that easily traps the steam pressure inside the container. This makes the environment inside the pot hyper-pressurised which makes the food tastier and increases essential nutrients.
- The Power Pressure Cooker XL is a one-touch device which allows you to cook all your favourite items by just pushing a single button. Within a fraction of time, your food will be ready to serve. This makes the Power Cooker 70% faster over other conventional cookers.
- You can easily remove the interior pot and clean it as it is dishwasher proof.
- You can use it to can anything just by pushing a switch.
- Versatile and economical kitchen tool.
- Washable using dishwasher for cleaning the cooker.
- It has a small capacity for storing food.
- Recently, the price has gone high but the size remains the same.
7. Ball FreshTech Electric Water Bath Canner, Silver
Well, this may not be a proper pressure canner but it is a deserving mention because it makes water bath canning more easy to perform. The Ball Fresh Tech Electric water bath canner is a good choice for those who are new to the canning process. Despite canning foods, one can also use it to steam or cook soup, pasta or other similar stuff.
- Usually, it comes with a capacity of 21-quart which is capable of holding 8-pint jars or 7-quart jars. Due to its nesting design, it becomes easy to clean and maintain the electric pressure canner. The dimension of the storage is 39 cm x 38.5cm x 39cm which is quite an efficient storage.
- You can easily use it to can high acidic foods like tomatoes, pickles etc. without any problem. But low acidic foods such as meat, seafood, etc these things can’t be well canned using this water bath canner.
- Another good thing about this product is that it is energy efficient. As compared to the traditional stove top, the electric canner saves almost 20% of energy. It comes with non-slip and heat-resistant handles that gives a perfect grip while holding the canner.
- One thing that you’ll find useful is the drain spout. It helps you to drain out the hot water from the canner without moving the entire canner filled with hot water. And, if you don’t require the spout you can seal it using a plug given with the pressure canner.
- Great storage capacity.
- Preferable for canning high-acidic foods.
- Drain spout feature is present to move the hot water without moving the entire canner.
- Energy saving product.
- Not good for meat, seafood etc. which are less acidic.
- Cost is high; not in every one’s affordability.
- Difficult to adjust the temperature.
Thus, above are the top 7 pressure canners from which you can choose the best one for your canning and cooking. As you can see, the All American, Presto, Mirror, T-Fal are the leading brands that are known for designing the best canners. Whether you want to buy high-gauge aluminium canner or for any canning supplies, you can surely select any of the mentioned products that can meet your requirements.
While purchasing the best pressure canner the things that you need to take into consideration about is the product quality along with easy handling. Altogether, before buying the pressure canner can get yourself acquainted with the canner features and purpose of your canner. In this way, you’ll be able to choose the appropriate pressure canner for yourself within a suitable price.
With an incredible passion for cooking, she completely understands the value of kitchen appliances for every chef and home cook. She has mastered all styles of cooking solely through her unique talents and learning aptitude. And through her journey, she has also become skilled at using different appliances to perfection. And she thanks the stars for giving her this passion for cooking that makes her happy along with those around her.